Nature Society (Singapore) Nature Forum

NSS - Watching the Wild, Watching over the Wild...   

Help an aspiring ecologist

Discuss nature related subjects not covered by the above forums

Help an aspiring ecologist

Postby vignaraaj » Thu May 11, 2017 1:28 pm

Hi all,

I'm keen on being an ecologist, behavioral ecologist to be exact. I currently hold a Mass Communications degree but I feel that it is not my calling. I was not offered biology in secondary school and didn't ace my physics-chem combi either; however I feel that I've changed as an individual . I'm interested in the NUS Environment Studies Programme, but sadly I do not meet the criteria as I didn't take A-levels (Minimum criteria- H1 pass in Maths & H2 Pass or above in Biology or Chemistry)

On the NUS site for the Environmental Studies programme, it says that those who are committed to environmental stewardship can apply for the programme, but I feel that I will be held back because of my grades in the past. I understand that some form of educational foundation is required and would like to know what is the best path I can take, to be a part of this programme(from scratch or midway). I'd also like to know what other alternatives (be it in Singapore or abroad) I can take reach this goal.

I've asked NUS and they would like to know what sort of green projects I've spearheaded which I've not. I don't think picking up trash on the beach a few times will warrant an entry to the programme. I'm starting to feel helpless and I'd really appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction or show me an alternative path.

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your assistance.
vignaraaj

Return to Others