Nature Society (Singapore) Nature Forum

NSS - Watching the Wild, Watching over the Wild...   

Snakes alive...

Crocodile, Lizard, Snake, Turtle, Frog, Salamander ...

Moderators: leopardcat, uncletony

Snakes alive...

Postby adrhall » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:50 pm

Quick question folks...

AT Bidadari on Saturday morning, as the rain started to fall, a black snake with no markings on the body (I couldn't see the head - low light AND the snake was moving quickly away from me), around the circumference of a broom handle and maybe 3 to 3 1/2 feet long, gave me quite a start. It was maybe 10 feet away from me when i saw it. I am guessing this is a cobra? (Alan Owyong suggested this).

Given that i regularly photograph birds, I'm not usually looking down on the floor when i have espied a bird i want to photograph. I never really thought about this before, but I guess it would be relatively easy to stumble on a snake's presence, scare it, and thus it may strike.

Aside from being cautious and taking care to see where you are walking whenever possible, are there any other precautions i should be taking? Sorry for the naivety on this, but as an Englishman, we rarely encounter snakes in the UK and even when we do, they're usually grass snakes which don't harm humans with their bite. So when birding, there's little need to worry about snake bites.

Thanks

Adrian
adrhall

Re: Snakes alive...

Postby lenachow » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:54 am

Sounds like you met a Black Spitting Cobra, seen once in a while at Bidadari and nearby areas. I managed to take a video of one that literally crossed my path : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YytsSOFM6Mk

Cheers,
Lena
lenachow

Postby adrhall » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:11 am

Lena

Thanks for the video... this is EXACTLY what i saw and it scarpered really quickly... didn't get chance to even get the snake photographed, it left so quickly.

Adrian
adrhall

Postby michael1801 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:40 am

It sounds like you have a black cobra, in bidadari and nearby areas occasionally see
People are so hard to Laneige Singapore work for.
michael1801

Return to Reptiles and Amphibians